Monday, October 28, 2013

10/28/2013 - Phantom Testing, Begirados Gryph Trial, and a Few Other Random Things

Hey guys!

Today I was getting down to trying out Phantom on a few customs. Phantom SA165EWD has been discussed for a while now, so I decided to see what it could do. I put it up against a few customs, and it actually stomped Duo Cancer W145WD to my surprise. It was also able to got 9-1 against Revizer Dragooon SA165EWD (go figure)! I tried it against these two a few times, and I must say I'm impressed at this thing's stamina so far. Haven't tested it much but I'm looking forward to trying it out more against some taller heights. I think it could definitely have some potential, and I actually noticed its recoil wasn't as bad as some other Phantom combos I've tried. Phantom 230 was removed from the tier list due to its horrendous recoil, so as long as that can be kept in check (which I think would be relatively easy) I think this could certainly be used competitively.

After this, I went into testing Cake's Defense custom Phantom Cancer 85RB. I didn't use a metal face, just because I was too lazy to fish one out and take it apart again, but it was still kicking some bey from what I saw. The thing pretty much stomped on Flash, going something like 14-1, and it didn't seem to have much trouble with Wyvang either. Honestly, I think this thing has far superior balance to Ingulit's Scythe Uranus 85RS. It doesn't have the pure defense Scythe can pull off, but it definitely has less risk of being out-spun by an attacker in a tournament situation. It all comes down to preference when choosing between the two, and IMO right now Scythe would be my pick, but Phantom can definitely put up a fight against most of the competitive attackers we have at the moment (didn't think I'd ever say that, LOL).

Anywho, on to some Begirados Gryph testing... I'm honestly still very, very impressed with Gryph Begirados 105RF. I know is a bit low, but it is still wrecking competitive BD145 defenders of both spin directions for me, and obviously destroying the entire stamina game. However, I was thinking of trying to apply this setup on a height that some other players might prefer. Meow! really loved this combo when I first posted it, because he said that he had never gotten decent smash out of Begirados on CH120+ heights... he was absolutely right. I couldn't get a very impressive performance out of this synchrom on anthing taller than 120 (it wasn't bad necessarily, but nothing really impressive), so I kept going up. 120, 125, 130, 145, 160, and 165 really didn't do much for me. Then I got to TH170. Still nothing. Then I had a though... Bahamdia Ifraid SA165R2F has the bottom chrome wheel protruding, and that thing is pretty decent. What If I flipped the Synchrom over?

BANG!  Revizer Revizer BD145RSF hits the floor! I got some pretty nice smash out of this one, and I really like it a lot, for one particular reason... on TH170, all you have to do against Duo defenders is climb up to 220, and drill them into the ground. It really works quite well as a force smash combo at 220 height (and sometimes 195 against really short customs), which totally eliminates the risk against Duo Defense. It didn't do nearly as well against E230 as you would think, though. It loses most of its raw Smash Attack when you jack its height up 5 milimeters. Nonetheless, I got some really great smash out of this thing, and it's really fun to use. Unfortunately, this Synchrom failed on 145 and below. I didn't get quite as good results on SA165. It's still sorta viable, but Begirados Gryph TH170R2F is the way to go with this Synchrom if you have the parts IMO.

One random thing I tried was Duo F230MB. I heard Gahooleone mention it as interesting the other day, but it really didn't do so well for me. In a nutshell its stamina wasn't the greatest, and Duo 230MB did just about everything better.

The last thing I tested was a force smash custom. I've always known Ifraid had serious force smash, but I had never gotten down to really testing it on different tracks. I started out with Ifraid Ifraid F230RB (having just finished testing with F230MB I thought I should just try it out) against Phantom Cancer W145WD, and it didn't do too bad, but the little "fins" on the bottom of F230 were keeping some things from getting underneath. I then switched to MB to see if it would make a difference. It did, in a really bad way. The recoil was awful, and the thing was KOed like 3 times. Same thing with 230. Seeing as RB had kept the recoil in check when using F230, I tried 230RB and added a Metal Face Heavy. It did OK, but not phenomenal. I decided to try something else to tame the recoil - E230. It worked pretty great with E230 in its "lower mode," and it took Cancer down with no problem. Thinking of Gryph Gryph E230BSF, I tried Blade Semi-Flat. It went back down to OK, so I decided to stop with MB.

The final product I had was MSF-H Ifraid Ifraid E230MB. The thing is pretty darn scary when you get down on shorter combos, and it actually made a couple indentations on my Phantom. I have yet to test it against Duo, but, since Duo usually dies hard against force smash I would expect it to win easily.

Well, that's all for today! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment